Monday, September 6, 2010

Handspun Lace Scarf in Merino/Silk

With a bit of a lag in activity after Le Tour de Fleece, I've managed to get myself back to 'The Blog' and put a few words on paper. Its been a busy time, completing the editing of a manuscript but that is now out of the way and I can concentrate on more important things - like my spinning and knitting.

The Shetland I spun for Le Tour has been stored for later use, I haven't decided on a project for it as yet but I'm sure something will crop up at some stage. The grey matter is already ticking over on that one. With only 250grams, its not really enough for a jumper, but might make a short sleeve summer cardigan...

Oh dear - think I just found a project for it. Whether to dye it or leave it natural white?

The yarn below is a beautiful purple Merino/Silk, which I've spun up in a medium lace weight. A pattern has been sourced and knitting has commenced.



As I have not used silk yarn as stated on the pattern, I decided on using larger needles as the yarn is not as fine, but it's still knitting up very nicely.






At the same time, I am also working on a cardigan for my daughter. The blue dyed sliver is to be blended with alpaca to spin into a fine slubby yarn.



So far, the corridale/alapca blend is spinning up beautifully with the first bobbin nearly complete.  It is a pleasure to spin.
To blend the fibres, I am using hand carders with 2/3rd sliver, 1/3 alpaca and carding until the white is fully blended, giving a 'denim' look to the yarn. One strand will have slubs of white alpaca, emulating the original yarn on the pattern as closely as possible.

In the meantime, the bath-tub has been full of fleece leftover from other projects and washed in preparation for carding.
If that isn't enough, the thought of knitting my granddaughter gloves and beanie is also on the cards...
And if there is any time left over, I will see about a bit of sleep and food here and there...


No comments:

Post a Comment