Thursday, September 16, 2010

Anyone for Continental Knitting?

It's definitely a learning curve. Using the wool in the wrong hand, holding the needles differently - its like driving on the wrong side of the road, in the wrong side of the car...

But, it doesn't take long to pick it up. This afternoon is the first time I have attempted left-handed knitting - even though I am a left-handed person - and after a few stumbles for an hour or so, I had it. Now I just have to keep it. That means practicing, regularly. Well, I am knitting a plain garter stitch scarf as well as the lacy one, so that will be a good opportunity to get in plenty of practice.

Oh dear, I don't seem to have any excuses not to practice...



I am quite surprised how easy continental knitting is once you get the hang of it. I'm by no means fast yet, too soon, and I still 'loose the wool' by the tension slacking off, but I'm getting the hang of it.


There are plenty of videos on YouTube of varying lengths for 'hands-on' tuition. Even with Continental knitting there are a few techniques. Some hold the wool wrapped around the little finger and over the forefinger, others double wrap the wool just around the forefinger, some hold the forefinger away from the needle when knitting the stitches, or it can be held close and 'pick' the yarn directly off the finger. These are just a few techniques, there are more.

I'm still working out which way is the best for me. Whichever way you find suits you is the right way - for you.


3 comments:

  1. Hi, This is Cinders form stitchlinks and Rav.
    I'd love to learn continental knitting.I beleive its much quicker.I'm also left handed.
    I tried spinning but as I have Fibromyalgia I didnt have the strength in my legs and was in too much pain with my neck and shoulders.Keep meaning to sell my spinning wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cinders. I've been learning the art of continental knitting myself and am gradually getting the hang of it. I've spent the last 50 years knitting right-handed so it does take a little getting used to BUT it is easier on the hands, arms and wrists. MUCH less movement. I mostly use circular needles even for straight knitting as they are shorter, easier to handle and lighter. I have arthritis in my thumb joints so it does get a bit sore at times. There are oodles of videos on the internet, that is where I learnt - it took me all of an hour... Have a peek and see how you go. Just give it a try.

    As for spinning, think about getting yourself an electric spinner. After my car accident (many years ago now) there was no way I would give up spinning, so bought an electric spinner. Best thing I ever did back then. All you do is feed the wool, or whatever, into the orifice and away you go. Don't give up on spinning, just find a way to make it easier... lol.

    Make sure you sit comfortably and relaxed, and with an electric spinner you can sit on your sofa, with the spinner on a stool or small table of the right height - I have done that and it works beautifully. Haven't used it for a while as I have my traveller and using my left foot after having the wheel modified for me. Maybe see if you can borrow and electric spinner to give it a try...

    And definitely have a go at the continental knitting. It's like being a kid and learning all over again. And I love being a kid...hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just thought - the Hansen Mini-Spinner might be the go. Don't know if you can get it in the UK, it's from the US. http://www.hansencrafts.com/ I will be organising one for myself when I've moved. My Eroetol Roberta is good, but rather weildy. Ask around and see what you can find...

    ReplyDelete